Monday 1 August 2011

24 Hours is Not Enough!

As I write today we approach the halfway point in intermediate cuisine. It's been a very busy and exciting few weeks for me, the cooking has really got more advanced and the ingredients more exotic. We're expected to produce a lot more every time we go into the kitchen now, at the very least we'll have to cook a starter and a main and sometimes a dessert. On top of my schedule at college I've been working around 30 hours a week at a modern British style restaurant in Balham. I have good days and bad days there as the commis chef, but the time I spend there is valuable to me as it's definitely teaching me new schools and ways of presentation which have gone down well at college.

Last Friday we had live langoustines and scallops flown in from Scotland and got to make the most incredible risotto and a dessert, here's an example of a typical 2.5 hours in the kitchen, in this case a main and a dessert:


Risotto, langoustines, mussels, scallops


Tuile, berries, lemon sabayon


And now just a random selection of some of the dishes we've cooked:


Quail



Moules Mouclade


Lamb Navarin, Spring Garden



Salmon, Scallop + Sole Mousse, Sorrel




Goats Cheese, Grapes, Poppy seed Vinaigrette



Bouillabaisse 




Dover Sole



Duck, Beetroot, Apple, Pear, Celeriac



Confit Duck



Basque Chicken


2 comments:

  1. Those dishes look amazing. Cannot wait you to create something for me when I visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those seafood recipes are totally terrific and I can't wait to make some for my family! But if you are looking for more scrumptious and delectable seafood recipes, try glancing in my favorite food site, www.gourmetrecipe.com. They have lots of seafood recipes that you could choose from! I can assure you, you will enjoy that site!

    ReplyDelete